Scallywags
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for the Scallywags Society

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Similar topics
    Username:
    Password:
    :: I forgot my password
    Top posters
    Match
    How does vent work? I_vote_lcapHow does vent work? I_voting_barHow does vent work? I_vote_rcap 
    Othello
    How does vent work? I_vote_lcapHow does vent work? I_voting_barHow does vent work? I_vote_rcap 
    Willy von Zuppa
    Blood Scaramuche
    Jade De Menace
    Frank
    Just A Pirate
    Sharkey Felicia
    Big One
    angello
    Latest topics
    » Who's Your Favorite Captain
    How does vent work? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 3:23 am by Jade De Menace

» Scallywag where art thou?
    How does vent work? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:05 pm by Xiaolin

» Calling the Suicide Hotline
    How does vent work? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 10:28 am by Willy von Zuppa

» Ship combat mechanics
    How does vent work? EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm by Othello

» On the Longevity and Resilience of the Undead
    How does vent work? EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 11:15 pm by Othello

» Scallywags Ranks
    How does vent work? EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 11:33 am by Othello

» I may have to stop
    How does vent work? EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 2:14 pm by Othello

» My other toons
    How does vent work? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 4:27 pm by Othello

» Ahoy Matey's
    How does vent work? EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 3:02 pm by Willy von Zuppa

Communicate

Communication
    is the
    Key to Success

Affiliates
    free forum

How does vent work?

Go down 
    3 posters
    AuthorMessage
    Othello

Othello

How does vent work? Empty
    PostSubject: How does vent work?   How does vent work? EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 1:48 am

It may be difficult for some of you to believe but in all the time I've played POTBS I've never used Vent. I wanted to ask how it works. I browsed the website where you download the vent software. I am worried that vent may run on my new baby. I only saw downloads for Windows XP 32bit and 64bit. Not Windows 7 64-bit. A 32-bit version of the software would run just fine on it a 64 bit but will and XP or vista version work on 7??? How does it work? ...and what if I can't get it to work? At least until a version compatible with Windows 7 is created.

I couldn't afford the hard drive space on my current baby "Xana" (Zan-uh) the first, because I only have 80GB and I do a lot of video editing and 3d graphic arts work. The name Xana comes from one of my favorite cartoon shows that is not on TV anymore. Xana was a Megalomaniac super computer that plotted to wipe man kind off the face of the earth. Xana the first is an Alienware laptop model 5750 it came out when dual core processors were new. Her days are now numbered...I was able to make a temporary repair to my laptop so I could at least play POTBS for a short periods of time. I don't know how long it will last though. My graphics card is bad some how it lost exactly half of its memory.

My new baby Xana II will be a one of the most magnificent machines I've ever worked with. I even built the computer myself. I just got news that the motherboard manufacturing company received my computer today. They will start to fix it tomorrow. Please prey that I get my new computer back fully and reliably operational over my spring break the week after next.

Here are the spec on Xana II

Two Quad Core Intel Xeon processors. 2.16Ghz(eight physical processor cores)

Eight Gigabytes of DDR3 memory 1333Mhz

780 Gigabytes of hard drive @ 10k RPMs.

One gigabyte 256bit GDDR5 of graphics memory ATI GPU 4870 series.

I've been unable to use my Xanna II since October 09...for the life of me I could not get reliable video output from it. My work is stunted by my laptop. It doesn't have all the power that I need anymore I can't even run 3ds Max, Rhino, or Maya without getting blue screen memory stop errors. Sad
    Back to top Go down
    Willy von Zuppa

Willy von Zuppa

PostSubject: Re: How does vent work?   How does vent work? EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 3:47 am

Sounds like a really nice PC.. But if you're doing alot of video and graphics work, I suggest a 500+ gig hard drive on Xana. You can partition it for better performance.

As far as how Ventrilo works... I'm not so much of a tech that I can go into specific details, but it's a Voice Over IP program (VOIP). Kinda like an instant messenger and Vonage rolled into one. I've been running Ventrilo and TeamSpeak for years and haven't had any problems. I'm not sure as far as compatibility for Windows 7, but with Windows XP you can right click on a program (icon), go to properties, select the compatibility tab and select a previous version of Winows to run it with.

If it doesn't work, just uninstall it. If you still have your old PC, you can run it on that one. That's what I do (personal preference) Game on one PC, Vent/TeamSpeak on another
    Back to top Go down
    Jaimeson

PostSubject: Re: How does vent work?   How does vent work? EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 3:40 pm

it works just fine on Win7 (x64 & x86), just remember to run as administrator, otherwise you won't be able to use push to talk while you're in game...
    Back to top Go down
    Othello

Othello

PostSubject: Re: How does vent work?   How does vent work? EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 6:10 pm

Thanks guys Smile

Willy I'll keep your hard drive suggestion in mind. My mother board has 8 SATA ports. In the future when I get more money I will just add more hard drives. I don't have enough HD bays in my case for 8 though only 3 SATA ports will go unused since I have to have a disc drive in one of the bays. I've spent a good chunk of my scholarship money on this thing. Between ordering parts and trying to fix it.

Jaimeson thanks, I guess it won't be an issue. Windows 7 is way nicer than Vista. Vista's comparability mode sucked. A lot of my software didn't run very well on that OS as well. -.- We will find out when that time comes anyway. There is a such thing as an 86-bit OS? Really? If so wow right now 64-bit is good enough for me.
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How does vent work?   How does vent work? Empty

Back to top Go down

How does vent work?
    Page 1 of 1