Scallywags
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for the Scallywags Society

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posters
Match
Manure... An interesting fact I_vote_lcapManure... An interesting fact I_voting_barManure... An interesting fact I_vote_rcap 
Othello
Manure... An interesting fact I_vote_lcapManure... An interesting fact I_voting_barManure... An interesting fact I_vote_rcap 
Willy von Zuppa
Blood Scaramuche
Jade De Menace
Frank
Just A Pirate
Sharkey Felicia
Big One
angello
Latest topics
» Who's Your Favorite Captain
Manure... An interesting fact EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 3:23 am by Jade De Menace

» Scallywag where art thou?
Manure... An interesting fact EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:05 pm by Xiaolin

» Calling the Suicide Hotline
Manure... An interesting fact EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 10:28 am by Willy von Zuppa

» Ship combat mechanics
Manure... An interesting fact EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm by Othello

» On the Longevity and Resilience of the Undead
Manure... An interesting fact EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 11:15 pm by Othello

» Scallywags Ranks
Manure... An interesting fact EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 11:33 am by Othello

» I may have to stop
Manure... An interesting fact EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 2:14 pm by Othello

» My other toons
Manure... An interesting fact EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 4:27 pm by Othello

» Ahoy Matey's
Manure... An interesting fact EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 3:02 pm by Willy von Zuppa

Communicate

Communication
is the
Key to Success

Affiliates
free forum

Manure... An interesting fact

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Willy von Zuppa

Willy von Zuppa

Manure... An interesting fact Empty
PostSubject: Manure... An interesting fact   Manure... An interesting fact EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 9:18 pm

When people ask what you learned today ...

Manure :
In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship. It was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas, of course. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Rolling Eyes

Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM! affraid

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening. confused

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I.

I had always thought it was a golf term. Shocked

Back to top Go down
angello

Manure... An interesting fact Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manure... An interesting fact   Manure... An interesting fact EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 9:40 am

Oh, it is really inetersting!
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Scallywags :: Community :: The Butchers Block-
Jump to: